I'm not arguing against the use of controlled vocabularies--only that there's a case to be made for recording uncontrolled terms which match the term in a 100 $c in a 37X. We wouldn't add such a 37X ourselves (we follow PCC in preferring controlled vocabulary terms), but I wouldn't revise one that someone else put on the record. Such a field could have a plausible use in someone else's system.

Stephen