Dennis raises a really good point.  The potential for damage to very rare
materials is so great that students should only be dealing with materials
that you really don't care a lot about.  You don't want valuable items to
be used for "learners."  Take for example a glass-based transcription disc,
which looks very much like one that isn't glass-based.  If you just look at
it wrong, it will break.  They are extremely fragile, yet there is often
nothing you can see to warn you about that.  Also, playing instantaneous
discs with inappropriate styluses can permanently damage them.  Likewise
commercial 78 discs, although they are somewhat more durable.

Best,
John H. Haley