Hi Tom-very interesting article.  For me, sort of coincidental.  I have
about 400 GB of music on my HD.  Most of it CD's downloaded at WAV
resolution, some of it purchased online at 320, some of it purchased online
in FLAC.  I unfortunately saved some CD's in 192, back in the day.  I have
saved all the CD's. I have used iTunes as my player and music organizer,
because it seems, to me, to be the best of a not stellar array of players.
One of the issues I have with iTunes is that it doesn't like to supply
album art for WAV or FLAC media.  Not only doesn't it supply album art, but
it won't let me put it in.  Imagine my delight upon finding something
called Tidymymusic from a Chinese company called Wondershare.  Wondershare
has been around quite a while, and the reviews for Tidymymusic were good.
Supposedly Tidymymusic would go through my iTunes library and look for
album art on line that was not present, then apply the album art. It would
also "tidy up" the metadata.  I started it running.  It found 16,000 pieces
of music, and told me it could automatically handle 12,400 of the pieces.
I have the library backed up, so I let it run.  After about 2,000 pieces
had been processed, I noticed that the metadata in a significant number of
selections had been changed to Japanese.  Probably when Tidymymusic went on
line there were some choices to be made, and it chose the Japanese one.
This was a blessing in disguise, because now I am going through all the
discs and correcting the Japanese data, and changing the 192's to WAV.  I'm
glad I saved the CD's.

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD