Thanks for that Goran!  Now it makes sense!

"Normally, the outer layers of tape from the printing signal will receive
more print-through than the inner layers, since the signal must reach the
top of the oxide coating to be noticeable. To reach the top surface of an
outer layer of tape, that signal's magnetic field needs only to pass
through the
base material. To reach the top surface of an inner layer of tape, it must
pass through both the base material and the oxide."