On 2015-03-16 1:10 PM, Dave Burnham wrote:
> Toronto is not known for its earthquakes but I believe that would be the loudest.
>
> db

That is indeed true, but the strongest I felt here was the one that was
in Virginia? that did some damage in Washington DC including to National
Cathedral and Washington Monument, if I recall correctly.

However, I did spend 21 years in Glendale California and lived through
the Northridge Earthquake. The loudest sounds I remember with that were
the sounds the house made as it flexed.

The Whittier Narrows earthquake caught me at LAX heading with my wife to
Washington DC. We did not hear anything at the airport but saw
significant swaying of hanging signs. We found out that our large living
room picture window did not like the stress and cracked and fell to the
driveway below. Fortunately, the good company I worked for sent some
people over to clean up and orchestrate the boarding up process. We kept
the wood just in case it ever happened again.