I think there's a difference between referencing a song or melody and outright ripping it off.
Sampling is, and has been decided legally is, outright ripping off others' work, and thus those
people must be compensated. Referencing -- using a riff or a run of notes, or taking a lyric phrase,
for instances -- is more of a gray area. It'll be interesting to see how this Marvin Gaye descision
ends up in the courts, and whether it ends up being a Supreme Court test case. I think Robin
Thicke/Pharell's unoriginal tune more referenced than sampled that Marvin Gaye song, but it's worth
looking at the instructions to the jury, because they did get relatively thick into the copyright
weeds in deciding the case.

David's reference to Bach is interesting, because I think Bach and Beethoven and perhaps Dvorak and
other composers who recycled "folk" songs and melodies may have ended up in court under US Copyright
law in 2015. Does Beethoven's 9th outright "sample" large parts of a German drinking song? Isn't
that exactly what got De La Soul in trouble with Gilbert O'Sullivan? It would be interesting to hear
one of the copyright experts' opine on that comparison.

My disdain for the Thicke/Pharell situation is, if you can't come up with an original song, just
credit the originator and pay the damn royalties on your hit. There's no shame in making a career
covering other people's material. Look at all the crooners out there, look at many Country music
icons, look at Sinatra, Presley, Ronstadt, etc etc. It's sleazy to appropriate and not give credit,
in any creative endeavor. I look at Led Zeppelin ripping off Son House, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters
and others with equal disdain, even though I happen to like their music a heck of a lot better than
Robin Thicke.

-- Tom Fine