The Zoom H4n has XLR/TRS inputs, plus 1/8" input for the rear channels, so it's theoretically
possible to record 4 channels at once. The mic preamps aren't noisy like the M-Audio, but the inputs
are overly sensitive for line-level inputs. I recommend using a 10dB pad with line inputs.

To your point, Tascam makes good flash recorders, no doubt. In the typical budget of a "sound
catcher," the Zoom is a better value because of the versitility and features. By the way, the Zoom 6
is stealing market from Sound Devices. I'm sure the SD sounds better, but you can get a lot of the
features for way less than half the price, which is fine for budget-constrained video producers.

As a wider point, I do think almost any of these flash recorders are more difficult for a blind
person to operate than an old-school cassette recorder. The sound quality will in almost all
situations be better with a flash recorder, but they are not simple 3-button beasts. If your friend
ends up trying out some different models, I'd be curious to know which one she ends up finding best
for her situation, and why. In my opinion, all of the flash recorders I've owned or tried out suffer
from "feature-itis" and are overly complex vs. what they are used for 90+% of the time.

Oh, one other thought for your friend. Do not discount the idea of using an iPhone or iPod Touch
with one of those plug-in mics from Rode, Zoom, Tascam, etc. The advantage there is that I think
there is a special iOS interface for the blind, so she might be able to have sound cues for all the
controls, and sonic confirmation that it's recording correctly. An iPod Touch with 32G memory and
one of those mics prices in slightly higher than a Zoom H4n, but still not ridicu-priced, plus she
can listen to her music and podcasts and have her news read to her on her way to and from recording
things.

-- Tom Fine