On 3/27/2015 7:38 PM, John Schroth wrote:
> You have no doubt put some time, research and money into acquiring
> turntables that you feel would properly play back the disk collection.
> You are willing to invest in proper preamps for the turntables. It is
> worth the money to either pay someone first to properly preserve the
> media, prior to letting inexperienced hands start working with it, or
> pay to get some instruction from someone who can help you and your
> students properly use and care for the media - which is the most
> important piece of this equation.
>
> Just my two cents....

I'll back up what John says, having seen how records are damaged when
students handle them as though they were CDs.

Let me put in a plug for transferring discs flat, then adding
de-emphasis curves in post-production, of course preserving copies of
the flat transfers intact. My reason: to determine the proper
de-emphasis curve for a particular disc, you really have to play it, try
different curves and listen, then go back and record the disc with the
curve you've selected. Playing the disc twice damages it -- yes, even
shellac 78s, Transferring it once, flat, then doing the experiments on
the digital file is less damaging to the original material. Unless I
know the actual curve of a record (which, practically speaking, means
unless I know it to be RIAA) I always transfer flat, playing the disv
just once.

There may be imperfections in this technique, but IMHO the lessened wear
and damage on the discs outweighs them.

To the OP: I suggest that if you have a professional transfer these
discs in your collection -- particularly the transcriptions -- you have
them transferred flat, without de-emphasis curves.

Peace,
Paul

---