Hi Paul,

I would like to respectfully disagree (Agree to disagree?).

First of all, I have, and use, the software you mentioned. I've tried
the comparisons, not only with Audition 3 and DC-8, but Sound Forge 9,
Pro Tools and Sonic Solutions (haven't tried after-the-fact phono EQ
with Cedar or Pyramix) and I agree with those who are on the side of
hardware EQ in the analog domain. Audiophiles have been arguing for
years about the virtues of one phono preamp over another. The
differences that they are really hearing can be defined as the "time
constants" of a given design. The differences in time constants are
simply the result of the type of parts used in a particular design and
how they are arranged, regardless of weather we are discussing solid
state or vacuum tube circuitry. And, as you know, the debate between
"toobs" and solid state circuit designs rages on. EQ in the digital
domain does not make allowances for part tolerances or varying circuit
designs. I find that when digital EQ is applied to a flat record
transfer, the result is somewhat lifeless sounding although much more
precise, I'm sure. I have to agree with Gary Galo that making a "flat"
transfer does not allow for the headroom needed for the turnover
frequencies unless you are willing to make your reference level around
-25DBFS. Not adding the roll-off can make sense if a considerable amount
of digital processing is needed to reduce noise or remove scratches,
etc. This is where accessing an external analog EQ is useful for post
processing (I use a GML8200 for this) although it has to be done in real
time. If digital processing is going to be required, using a higher
sample rate and bit depth is also beneficial.

As one who works on both the outside and inside of analog mixing
consoles (have for years) and, although it wasn't your main point, I can
tell you that the electronic design world has moved on from the NE5532.
The disclaimer here is that I have never been a fan of multiple op-amps
in one package and the NE5532 is the one I would use to make my argument.

Regards,

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net