On 3/30/2015 1:03 PM, John Haley wrote:

> As for record companies handing out lossy formats for review, that's just
> another sad indicator of the sad state of the recording world these days.
> That is true foolishness and stupid cost-cutting.  Obviously, in those
> instances, whoever is making the decision to do that just doesn't care much
> about reviews.  I think that carries over to not caring much about the
> artists being presented.

In a parallel development, record companies and individual artists are
servicing radio stations with downloads rather than physical CDs when
the company/artist is in one country and the radio station is in
another, because the postage rates have gotten infernally high.
I can understand that, particularly for individual artists who
self-publish. (I do a radio program of traditional folk music, and get a
lot of recordings from self-publishing artists and tiny labels.)

But there's *no* excuse for distributing only in lossy formats, when
FLAC has been available for years, and the software for generating FLAC
files is free, easy to use, and reasonably quick.

Peace,
Paul

---