-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Stamler
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 5:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] another "coming demise of the compact disc"
commentary

On 3/30/2015 1:03 PM, John Haley wrote:

> As for record companies handing out lossy formats for review, that's
> just another sad indicator of the sad state of the recording world these
days.
> That is true foolishness and stupid cost-cutting.  Obviously, in those
> instances, whoever is making the decision to do that just doesn't care
> much about reviews.  I think that carries over to not caring much
> about the artists being presented.

In a parallel development, record companies and individual artists are
servicing radio stations with downloads rather than physical CDs when the
company/artist is in one country and the radio station is in another,
because the postage rates have gotten infernally high.
I can understand that, particularly for individual artists who self-publish.
(I do a radio program of traditional folk music, and get a lot of recordings
from self-publishing artists and tiny labels.)

But there's *no* excuse for distributing only in lossy formats, when FLAC
has been available for years, and the software for generating FLAC files is
free, easy to use, and reasonably quick.

Peace,
Paul

---