This is the one I used to use. I agree that it's a nice robust and flexible database program. What
finally drove me away was that it relied on Gracenote and freedb and I didn't want to clean up
metadata once for a database and once for my digital library of files. I should ask the Tag&Rename
guy if he can easily write a program that scrapes up all the tag info in a defined library folder or
drive and grabs it into a database separated by filename. That's essentially what iTunes and all the
library programs spit out.

If I recall correctly, the version of CaTraxx that I used didn't rip CDs, that was the downfall. A
newer version may. If so, will it save in all the formats that dBPowerAmp will, and does it employ
Accurip?

Sam B clued me in on what PerfectMeta is, it's the thing in dBPowerAmp where it taps in to a whole
bunch of metadata sources, and you can select one, some or all. It does a little bit better than
relying strictly on Gracenote and/or freedb, but not much better. I told Sam what it is very good
for is stuff like artist-released CDs which have CD text and are too under-the-radar to show up in
Gracenote. Tag&Rename has even more robust meta-sourcing, as I described previously. The good thing
about its ability to look in Amazon.com, .uk. .de and .jp is that it can find more correct metadata
for some titles (Amazon is usually supplied by the record companies themselves, and somethimes they
actually copy-edit what they submit and make sure it makes more sense and is more accurate than
typical crowd-sourced jibberish). Also, the ability to search that LP database is extremely helpful.
Net-net, I find Tag&Rename the most useful meta-editing tool in the box. dBPowerAmp is very useful
in getting the meta right at the time of CD ripping.

Keep in mind I'm very picky about things like artist names, titling of classical works and that sort
of thing. My main playback device is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, and the Logitech library software
is definitely science-based, so if an artist isn't named exactly the same across an entire library,
they will show up under multiple names. Same with classical pieces. It's the same in iTunes, by the
way. If I want to find George Solti's performance of the Mahler 8th, for example, I don't want to
wade through Georg Solti, George Solti, Solti George, Chicago Symphony/George Solti, etc. I assume
this sort of thing is equally important to a library or institution, because non-uniform naming in
metadata messes up database searches. The enemy to this kind of order is the hodge-podge
crowd-source mess that is Gracenote and freedb.

-- Tom Fine