Decca did do some half-speed cutting - am I remembering that right?

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Decca FFRR "backwards" disk-cutting -- likely a MYTH

I asked the folks at Decca Classics, including the guys who just put
together the excellent new "Mono Years 1944-1956" box set. All of them said,
in essence, no way. The technical guys said it's not possible to cut
20-minute LP sides this way and there was no reason to do it, given Decca's
advanced cutting techniques developed during WWII, many of which were ported
over to microgrooves.
For 78's, they said again there was no reason to cut a disk backwards since
they could easily accomodate FFRR cutting forward like everyone else. Unless
someone can come up with some documentation saying otherwise, I would say
this is a MYTH and should be nipped in the bud here.

-- Tom Fine