I don't think very many LPs contained "super-sonic" frequencies, because everyone rolled off at some
point to avoid blowing out the cutterhead. You are very correct, though, that it's easier to cut
10kHz than 20kHz at a high level, but what music has high levels of 20kHz in the first place? I just
don't see any big advantage to half-speed cutting, but I should call up my friend Stan Ricker and
discuss this in-depth before saying more.

For what it's worth, among the major classical LP labels cutting records in NY in the first decade
of stereophony, it was typical to low-pass around 15K, meaning there was a decrease in level down to
about 10K. No one tended to complain that there's not enough treble on Mercury, RCA and Columbia
albums of the time. If you didn't low-pass, you used something like a Fairchild Conax, which was a
relatively fast limiter for high-frequency (above 10K) signals. The reason was, it was expensive to
blow out Westrex cutterheads and they were easily blown out with intense high-frequency information.
One thing that mystifies me about half-speed cutting is that it came into vogue later on, when most
people were using Neumann lathes and cutterheads. I thought one of the big advantages of Neumann
cutterheads was that they pretty much solved the problem of blowing up with intense high-frequency
information. I know that George Piros, who could cut a LOT of HF into an LP using a Scully/Westrex
system in the early 60's, said he could cut even more HF and level "if I turn off the computer"
using his Neumann lathe at Atlantic Records.

A major test of how much HF you could cut with a circa 1958 Westrex cutterhead came with "Persuasive
Percussion" by Terry Snyder and Enoch Light, the all-time best seller among "Stereo Spectacular" pop
records. My father told Enoch Light's biographer that he and George blew out "about a dozen"
cutterheads trying to get acceptable fidelity with the Chinese bells. They finally arrived on a
compromise that kept the cutterhead from blowing up and ended up with a close approximation of
Chinese Bells when played back with a good cartridge on a light-tracking turntable of the era (2g
was very light tracking in those days). It was during that time that my father got Westrex to
customize his cutterheads, making them mechanically stiffer (less compliant), so he could use much
less electrical feedback and more net power from his 200W McIntosh amplifiers. George perfected
cutting right on the edge of coming out with a trackable record and not blowing up too many cutters.

Ironically, now that I wrote that, I think half-speed cutting would have been really beneficial in
the early stereo days. But not when it was en vogue.

-- Tom Fine