This is the 1960 3M Sound Talk for print through
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/3mtape/soundtalk/soundtalkbull38.pdf

There are 1000 papers listed in the Audio Engineering Society E-Library
for the term print through.

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/search.cfm

The top one I got was one from 1980 by Neal Bertram et al. Neal
understands this stuff better than most. Here is the link to that paper:
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=3957

I don't know if Mallinson's books have much on that, but from all
accounts he was a genius in this area.

I'm glad to see his book available in print-on-demand. I'd go with a
used copy, however <smile>.

I can't guarantee what help it will be no time to look right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Magnetic-Recording-2E-Second/dp/0124666264/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426201237&sr=8-3&keywords=john+mallinson

Cheers,

Richard