Hi Tom,

I transfer these tapes all of the time. I transfer each side
individually and check azimuth for each side. If the tapes were recorded
at different speeds (not uncommon), I will check azimuth for the
off-speed section and record it separately. Your description of "In fact
they were recorded on all sorts of different machines" is the clue.
Aside from the fact that you may have a jumble of recordings from
different sources on one tape (also not uncommon with home recordings),
transferring the tape all at once guarantees an out-of-azimuth transfer
for the half playing backwards. Because the reverse track would not only
be off-azimuth, but because it has to be digitally manipulated, possibly
more than once (possible off-speed sections), I would think that it
would not be considered an archival quality file.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net