John, I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you’ve written here. But there are two parts to this story: the performance itself and the quality of the recording. Should a music critic be critiquing both? Is it their responsibility to *be* critiquing both?

Tom Fine has put forth that most music labels are sending lossy format files to be critiqued. If this is what the label is sending to be critiqued, should it be the duty of the critic to say that they will not base their judgement on what the label is sending them? When labels were pressing lousy Lp’s, did critics go to the label and insist on a reel-to-reel taped version if it was available?

These same type of questions haunted the drama critics as well. Should a critique be based on a preview performance or an opening night performance?

Am I just being au contraire?

DrG