This month we're featuring the new Lead Belly box set from Smithsonian Folkways, as well as Rhiannon Giddens' solo debut album Tomorrow Is My Turn.  Since March is Women's History Month, we're also reviving our Women of the World series with new releases from Cameroon-born singer Ntjam Rosie, Côte d'Ivoire-born singer Dobet Gnahoré, and the French-Cuban duo Ibeyi.

Gospel music releases include Brian Courtney Wilson's Worth Fighting For, the Mighty Clouds of Joy's Down Memory Lane Phase 2, and The Consolers Collection 1952-1962 dedicated to Miami gospel singers Sullivan and Iona Pugh.  New R&B releases include Swamp Dogg's The White Man Made Me Do It, Estelle's True Romance, and soul veteran Bettye Lavette's Worthy. Other featured albums include Warning Shot from Chicago blues band Mississippi Heat, Sweet Freaks from the UK funk band Brand New Heavies, and #OPRAH (Ordinary People Recording American History) from Chicago hip-hop artist MC Epic.

Wrapping up this issue are reviews of two new books, Brian Coleman's Check the Technique Vol. 2 and Opal Louis Nation's Sensational Nightingales; an extended DVD edition of James Brown Live at Boston Garden, April 5, 1968; the double CD reissue Apollo Saturday Night/Saturday Night at the Uptown; and our list of February 2015 Black music releases of note.
***New this month: We've embedded Spotify players for all albums listed above that are currently available for streaming - now you can sample the music from your desk or smart phone if you have a Spotify account.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org