I'd also like to say thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I am
currently using a Canon 50mm f/2.5 compact-macro lens. I agree with Don
that photographing using the "Live View" on the larger computer screen is
absolutely necessary to make the copy stand approach effective. Also, while
the lens has both auto and manual focus settings, I keep it on manual while
photographing with the copy stand. Making fine adjustments to the focus as
necessary is easy to do when viewing on the computer screen.

I am in the habit of using the "P" (Program AE) mode when photographing the
records and their packaging. In this mode, the aperture and shutter speed
are both automatically adjusted by the camera, while I can still control
the general brightness of the image through the EOS Utility software. This
comes in handy when the colors of the record cover or label change
dramatically from image to image. However, based on the discussion of
f-stops above, I think I'll revisit the "AV" (Aperture-priority AE) mode,
which would allow me to manually control the aperture setting and
brightness while the camera adjusts the shutter speed accordingly.
Hopefully, the improved depth of field would outweigh the cost of longer
shutter speeds. I'm also going to take another look into acquiring lighting
for the copy stand. As mentioned, this is probably the best bet for overall
improved images.

I've seen some beautiful nature photography that uses the focus stacking
method mentioned by Tom and Richard, but never tried it myself. I'm sure
the 5D Mark II can be programmed to do it. If I ever try it out on some
records, I'll be sure to share the results.

Best,
William

William R. Vanden Dries

Chairman, Audio Preservation Fund
Research Engineering Scientist Associate I, Applied Research Laboratories
512-731-9616