From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Shoshani
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] maybe the end of ripoff "songwriting"

On 3/12/2015 10:21, Tom Fine wrote:
> http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150311/us--blurred_lines-song_disput
> e-d6fcfcecbd.html
>

> I predict this verdict will stand, and once and for all so-called "pop
> musicians" will need to stop ripping off and recycling old music and
> old ideas and come up with something new and original. Hey kids, it
> was done once. It's possible to do. Marvin Gaye did it, in fact!
>
> -- Tom Fine

I think not, truthfully. This is as old as music publishing itself and will probably continue. Two cases that come to my immediate mind are George Harrison (My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine) and John Lennon (Come Together/You Can't Catch Me). Lennon recorded at least one Chuck Berry song on his "Rock and Roll" album as part of his settlement.

I don't think Lennon was ever sued for blatantly incorporating "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man" from Arthur Crudup's "Baby, Let's Play House" in his and McCartney's "Run For Your Life", though.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago