Hi, Mark,

Another great post on this subject. From a practical standpoint, the
tapes I'm seeing recorded in this way were not recorded on a machine
that used any "pre-distortion" to help improve overall square-wave
response (such as those you mentioned). The names Webcor and Wollensak
come to mind, along with Lafayette, Realistic, and Knight. And then
there is the venerable Sony TC-355 and the Tandberg machines.

As you said, the transfer engineer has to make a decision.

However, you raise an additional point about absolute polarity. Since it
was not specified in any of the original standards, when proceeding in
this direction the choice of which track to flip may reside in the punch
of the kick drum or the asymmetry of a vocal or wind instrument waveform.

I would like to suggest that the use of an ATR100 or A810/A820 to record
a tape which is flipped to record a second program is very rare. This
was a practice which all professional standards urged not be done.
"Record in one direction" was the rule.

The less well-enforced rule, but was at least partially alive in the
background was "fill all the tape with one program" which, if you were
still recording mono implied full-track and at least Ampex/NAB (75/82
mil) stereo. The Europeans took it a bit farther with the DIN stereo
(wider tracks, narrower guard band).

Cheers,

Richard