I am that person, and, no, I don't need to contact you, and, frankly, your
condescension on this speaks volumes. Almost as if you had a vested
interest in the status quo or something... (Full disclosure: my employer's
business model used to be based on the opposite: it no longer is) Please
don't start with me on fixed fields: tell me how often you've had to deal
with figuring out the actual country of publication for a record with
multiple ISBNS. Tell me you'd assume liability based on it.

No, I've spent the last 20 years working to make computers understand
AACR2. Theoretically, I could be "licensed librarian" in two (full
disclosure: I am not a librarian). Are you saying that as a 20 year library
technologist I can't crack the marc/aacr2 nut? If so, wouldn't that be more
damning of MARC/aacr2?

I guarantee that if you actually worked with the MARC records that are in
the majority (and didn't have a stake in a company that supplies a subset
of quality MARC data) you would never suggest relying on the fixed fields
for this.

Fixed fields could potentially help me limit to what's been published in
England. If I'm not interested in things published in London, Oxford, or
Cambridge (which, let's be realistic, will be the lion's share), the
burden's on me to wade through the results to find what I want.

And yet, all it takes is one interested (possibly non-library) person to
identify the publishers in the West Midlands and all of the libraries in
Birmingham, warwickshire, worcestershire, staffordshire, etc. has a curated
set locally published resources.

Something libraries are completely unable to do currently.

Let's bring this closer to home: provide me, using fixed fields, all of the
resources in Vancouver Public Library that were produced in southern B.C. I
don't see any indication that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was shot in
Vancouver here:
http://troy.lib.sfu.ca/search~S1?/.b6509804/.b6509804/1%2C1%2C1%2CB/marc~b6509804
which has nothing to do with library systems not working with fixed fields:
the data isn't even there to work with.

-Ross.