>.. so it's best not to trot out that old [Internet] excuse.

A local small university's president thought the Internet replaced the
library, so he offered the book collection to a company which makes
boxes out of books.  I kid you not.  He placed the IT folk in charge
of the library, and the exit alarm caught the head of IT steeling a
resource on Libraries.

Fortunately cooler heads prevailed; an academic dean was brought in,
who reversed that bad decision.

Then there was the my school librarian wife's principal ... It doesn't
help that many school principals were former PE teachers, who would
rather spend money on basket balls than books.

It may be a tired old excuse, but many administrators accept it.