Perhaps we are comparing apples to oranges here. Amazon and the App Store
don't offer to sell you "information" but deliver metadata instead. They
offers "products". You search Amazon to buy an HDMI cable, a coffeemaker,
an iPad, backpack, or yes, even a book. You identify the item you want and
await delivery. There is no real or implied offer to provide quality there
either, even though you may find ratings supplied by previous purchasers
who may or may not be objective in their description of what you are about
to purchase. Libraries OTOH offer "information", rather expensively vetted
for quality by collection development staff, but really only deliver
metadata that might lead you to the information you seek.  At least through
the catalog.  We also offer "quality" information more directly, in the
form of licensed content through our full-text databases and e-resources.
The shear quantity of those resources renders the collection development
process more of a firehose approach than libraries might like, given that
much of this comes in the form of prepackaged batched content, but there is
at least some imprimatur of quality.  So, the catalog could be analogous to
Amazon, except for the implication that we also vet the content of our
texts, serials, and e-resources for the *quality* of the information
contained therein.  And we also offer hand-holding in the form of public
services staff, who help users navigate to the information that they need
and in some instances, may even take time to interpret the information.

   Charley Pennell
   NCSU Libraries
   North Carolina State University

--