I can't argue against the fact that linked data holds no immediate promises
for making things easier to do with our data.  There is a non-insignificant
chance that migrating to a linked data will result in no real net benefit.
There's really no way to know right now.

However, I can say with some confidence that we're near the logical ceiling
of what we can do with our current data and cataloging practices.  You say
that *librarians* understand the MARC codes as if there aren't a whole slew
of really smart developers who also understand them (a whole lot of them
are even librarians!): the issue isn't understanding the data; it's getting
a computer to understand the data.

There are *some* ways to relate *some* of our data to external data:
standard identifiers (LCCN, OCLC numbers, ISBN, ISSN, BNB, etc.),
controlled headings (subjects, titles, names, etc.), geographic codes,
language codes, etc., although much of this is merely linking to other
library data.  It also assumes that it's actually been entered in the first
place or is correct (which, certainly, is a problem with *any* data format).

Your Lucene argument in favor of MARCXML is, unfortunately, not terribly
compelling: first off, those systems rarely use MARCXML (they generally use
binary MARC if they're indexing catalog data, since it's much smaller);
they have to do a *ton* of pre and post processing to strip out the
AACR2-isms; librarians are constantly railing against them for "dumbing
down the catalog"; and, most importantly, what do they bring that literally
any other modern search interface doesn't already bring?

Forget about grouping things by publisher or location of the subject
material (unless it's specifically *about* a place).  Forget about tying in
enrichment data for things that aren't books with an ISBN.  Forget about
limiting to things that are used in particular course or department
syllabi/reading lists.

None of this means we throw that data away or that it holds no value.  It's
just not enough on its own, and libraries simply don't have enough
resources to make it do the things that we could get by linking it out into
the larger world.

-Ross.