On 3/27/2015 5:46 PM, Kelley McGrath wrote:
> I strongly disagree with the statement that  someone who understands MARCXML can do whatever they want with the data. I think I have a pretty good grasp of MARC and I have spent countless frustrating hours trying to get information out of MARC records (and not always succeeding).
> Granted, I'm not a developer, but I've worked with people who are good developers so I don't think that's the bottleneck.
>
> That said, I'm not sure that Bibframe is going to fix my problems.

MARCXML is not particularly friendly to extracting some of the
information, but it can be done nevertheless. Certainly it can be made
easier but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. A lot of that
information is buried in the fixed fields which are crazy, but much of
that information is less important for the public. Relatively few need
the width of the tape is 1/4 in. (which equals value "m" in 007/07 when
007/00 is "s"  it can still be extracted. There has been ample time (20
years or so?), plus there used to be money, but there is much less now.

In conjunction with the basic statement

James Weinheimer [log in to unmask]
First Thus http://blog.jweinheimer.net
First Thus Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus