From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ross Singer
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Linked data

It doesn't have to be there if it links to other things.

The problem is with MARC is that that record (and each copy of it in each place) would need to be updated with every enhancement.  How would the records incrementally improve?

With BIBFRAME and RDF, the data *doesn't* have to be there.  That's the whole point of it.  But by identifying it and the resources in it, we can make inferences from other data.  And since this is the design from the start, it's not shoehorning onto a data format that isn't particularly well suited for it.

-Ross.