Hi Joe,

Like others have stated, a strategic plan should be a process with all vested parties involved.

In August 2007, the Illinois Center for the Book hosted a two day Board Retreat dedicated to working through a strategic planning process to guide the Center into the future. At that time, the Center was in its 22nd year and a not-for-profit 501C3 housed at the Illinois State Library. As a result of taking the time to work through this process, a new mission statement was created and the wheels were put into motion for the Center to become a programming arm of the Illinois State Library. On July 1, 2009, the vision created during those two days was realized and still guides the Illinois Center for the Book to this day.

While most may not find it necessary or be able to host a retreat like we did, it is what worked for us. Do what works best for you but I would encourage you to take your time and truly explore what this process can do for your Center.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey –

Bonnie Matheis

Coordinator, Illinois Center for the Book

Illinois Center for the Book

Illinois State Library

Gwendolyn Brooks Building

300 South Second Street

Springfield, Illinois 62701

Office: 217-558-2065

Fax: 217-782-1877

[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

Jesse White, Secretary of State and State Librarian

http://illinoiscenterforthebook.org