Agreed about VCAs.  They typically degrade the performance of the best
analog circuits by an order of magnitude (distortion, noise, bandwidth,
slew rate).

Maybe I'm the only one, but I would prefer to have a mono sum (with a fine
adjustment for L/R balance to minimize the noise floor) in addition to the
stereo outputs.  I always print both stereo and mono.  That way, the mono
track can often be used as-is, and if it turns out that there is an anomaly
someplace that only shows up in one of the two channels, it can be edited
from the stereo track into the mono file.  I actually do the mono summing
in my DAW, but if I had the choice, it would prefer to do it analog.

That said, I tend to do more EQ tweaking digitally in post.  Spending time
adjusting EQ during playback puts additional unnecessary wear on the disc.

Ellis

Ellis

--
Ellis