I don't mind record store day at all. These manufacturers say, "We can't
keep up with the production demand;" well, in a way that's a nice problem
to have.
As to gouging RSD-themed products as time goes on, I've had the experience
of seeking out at least two such releases months after they debuted and did
not experience more than a slight bump in the price, though I was looking
for reissues of things for which there wasn't a huge demand. These were the
30+
years delayed domestic release of Public Image Ltd.'s first album and a
superb reissue of "Food for Thought," the first album by The JB's, which
hardly
anyone bought initially.

Just think of it: an event that makes people excited about records, about
recordings. Sure there will be bumps in the road and carping from those who
think
the whole thing can be done better in countless ways, or say that we'd be
better off without it after all is said and done. And I have talked to
record store
managers who say that taking on all of that stock is a hardship for them,
but some say that it sells throughout the year so there is a back-end
benefit of
it. As long as it's only once a year than most can bear it, and the busy
day they have in April often makes up for it as they move stock that day
anyway.
So for now I'm down with it, and look forward to RSD every year, even if I
can't get out to celebrate -- and this year looks like one of those years.

David N. Lewis
Hamilton, OH