I have some lacquers with the sticky white stuff on them. Substances have been mentioned here on how
to clean it off, but could someone who has actual experience doing this please write up a "for
dummies" process, including exactly what substances need to be acquired and where to acquire them?
Much appreciated!

Previous discussions remind me a bit of talk on the Ampex list about cleaning gooey splices. Lots of
chemical names were bandied about, with no references as to what it's actually called in the
marketplace or where to buy it. Finally, I asked an expert (John Chester), hey what are you using
nowadays since we can't get the old kind of "freon" anymore? Naptha, called exactly that and sold at
most hardware stores. John further sent me links to the lab/medical bottles, syring-type applicator
and other tools he uses to successfully clean and spool splices without ripping oxide. Now THAT was
helpful. Would love the same kind of info about how to deal with lacquers with the sticky white
stuff on them.

-- Tom Fine