Hi Tom,

Let's start with the fact that active equalizers make better filters
than they do gain amplifiers. I proved this on the bench years ago. In
fact, it caused me to re-think the way I approached recording: listening
for what I wanted to remove instead of boosting what I thought was lacking.

When boosting frequencies with an active equalizer (API, MCI, Neve,
Radial, etc.) you get unwanted phase distortion, not to mention running
out of headroom if you are talking about the amounts required for record
EQ. The reason is that, from a design standpoint, the vast majority of
equalizers used in pro audio equipment (at least, all of those you
mentioned) have the RC components in the feedback loop. Thus, the phase
distortion when boosting beyond 3dB or so.
In the case of record EQ, we are talking about only boosting the low
frequencies for playback but, that is the area where phase distortion
can be most difficult to hear. However, it is certainly measurable.

My $0.02

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net