Ahhh, Amy,

The Otari DAS, as I recall, was an all-in-one solution which included a
slightly-modified version of the excellent MTR-15 reel-to-reel tape
player, if I recall correctly.

May I suggest the first step is to really look into the repair of the
Otari you already have?

I have just sold my last three Studer A810s (all of which were
excellent, low-mileage machines) to two University archives in the US.
If you can find good examples of these, many archives like them. Good
examples are becoming more difficult to find.

The big problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, some version of
the Otari MX5050 is still available for sale as a new machine (whether
it is recently manufactured or the result of a large production run
years ago remains a question).

Maintenance is difficult. I am blessed with having Roger Ginsley as a
friend here in Toronto and he is one of the best Studer technicians in
the world. There are also some other Studer technicians of the same
class in California. Charlie Belois comes to mind.

One thought that comes to mind is purchasing a remanufactured Studer
machine from ATAEStuder in Grass Valley California. These are completely
stripped down master recorders (A80 or A820) and then rebuilt from the
ground up with new components replacing any that are likely to age. I
know Fred Thal through email and telephone conversations and he is
obsessive about quality in the work he does.

I am using Studer A80 machines now, rebuilt by Roger and me--not to the
extent of the Fred Thal rebuilds, but still they function wonderfully.
The A80 is perhaps the most maintainable deck from a long-term
perspective. I also love and use Sony APR-5000s but they are more
difficult to maintain than the Studer A80s going forward. I have solved
that by collecting a large number of them.

I still think getting a good tape machine technician to look at your
Otari machine would be best.

As to the remainder of the DAS system, forget about it. The analog to
digital converters are an old design. Get a good, high-powered PC. The
$1500-$2000 Dell Special Edition "XPS" machines seem to be a good
choice. I bought one last year on special that had a 3 TB Hard Drive
(Big) and a 256 GB Solid State Drive (Not small and FAST) that even
chugs through video editing. It has more than twice the processor speed
of my top machine. You'll want at least 12 or 16 GB of memory and a
high-end i7 processor.

As to converters, there are many to choose from. I am particularly fond
of RME products and have a Fireface UFX as my main, high-quality
converter. The UCX has slightly broader high-frequency response which is
only of use if you are ingesting at higher-than-real-time speeds (which
the DAS could do).

With the Fireface UFX there are 8 analog line inputs and that means that
one can feed at least two tape machines into it and process two tapes at
once rather than doing one tape at a time at higher speed and have the
same throughput and redundancy of tape machine hardware.

Please call me if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Richard