On 4/27/2015 2:05 PM, John Haley wrote:
> I don't know the exact answer, but I suggest you pitch every record
> individually in Sound Forge.  How to figure this out--music goes up an
> octave when the playing speed is doubled, or drops an octave when the speed
> is cut in half.  So the pitch won't be too far off comparing 78 to 80.  Of
> course little changes in pitch are very important to how it sounds.
>
> If you are serious about transferring 78's, you really might want to get a
> more modern turntable.  Turntables from the 78 era are usually nightmares
> for rumble, instability, etc.

A big amen to that. Incidentally, a disc meant to play at 80rpm will, if
played at 78.25rpm (nominal "78" speed) come out with every frequency at
0.978125 x what was intended.

Sincea note that's a semitone flat is 0.9439 x the intended frequency,
that means that an 80rpm disc played at 78.25rpm will be less than a
semitone off. Still worth correcting. If the frequencies are all
multiplied by 80/78.125 = 1.0223642, they'll come out right.

Peace,
Paul

---