It's true. Recreating documentation that makes sense (dates, personnel,
recording locations, etc.) from only label scans and inexperienced
translators (those who do not know idiomatic English... or Japanese!)
can be a true pain. For Hawaiian record runs, recorded and pressed in
Japan, I had to extrapolate possible recording dates by making up a list
of issue numbers in each series for each label and the making an
educated guess. Some documentation actually did survive for some labels,
but mostly for issue dates, not recording dates.
Title translation can also be trouble. The written language in 1920 may
not be, and probably is not in many cases, accurate. Ways of
interpreting ideograms change over time making translation a nightmare.
Malcolm

*******