Joel:

Before replying with specific details, might I ask what the intent is in
collecting the list of disasters?  We are a tape restoration and
re-mastering laboratory that is very well known for our disaster recovery
services.  As such, we have a significant list of recent (since 1983)
disasters but are hesitant to release some of the information without an
indication of what the data will be used for.  Major archive disasters such
as ABC(flood), MTV (fire and flood at different locations at different
times), SONY (flood at different locations at different times), ZOMBA
(flood), the CBC (flood), The Grand Ole Opry (flood), Prague (flood), etc.
are not a problem but there have been a large number of disasters at smaller
archives or at facilities holding archival materials that are a little more
"confidential".

While we do hear about fires, we probably get 20 flood inquiries per every
fire inquiry.  While some fires leave tapes contaminated with soot and
debris that can be decontaminated, too often fire destroys the materials.
It is a lot easier to restore tapes that have been under water than tapes
that have burned up into little lumps of "charcoal".

Sincerely,

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055

Tape restoration, disaster recovery and re-mastering since 1983