Hi Duane,

Hopefully they felt that the process of a through cleaning was too
boring for a video presentation. One would think that the cleaning
process would have been mentioned though.

I've done more than one wet transfer of a lacquer disc. However, it's
the exception, not the rule. Usually, I'll resort to a wet transfer on
lacquer discs that have been played to death, badly stored and/or
handled where there seems to be no good option trying to get something
above or below the wear pattern. These are one-off instantaneous
recordings where there is no better copy available. In order to do a wet
transfer of a lacquer, the surface has to be in good enough shape, free
of cracks or anything that would allow the distilled water to get under
the lacquer surface. I always verify this by inspecting the disc with a
microscope before proceeding. On poor quality sources, the lacquer
coating is often compromised, ruling out a wet transfer.

I noticed in the You Tube video that both Alan Stoker and the owner of
the disc, used their bare hands to handle the disc. Something I never
do. I always wear film editors cotton gloves when inspecting lacquer
discs and rubber gloves when working with them .

Although the debate rages on regarding using a stereo stylus to transfer
a lateral groove disc, I'm in the camp that favors a mono stylus for
this type of disc. Why? Because each side of the groove wall on a
lateral-cut disc contains half of the signal. Using a stereo stylus
gives you two channels with half of the intended information for each
channel plus anything that caused the stereo stylus to vibrate
vertically. That said, sometimes using a stereo stylus gives the best
result.

While I'm replying to Duane Goldman's post:
Recently there was mention of using a solution of "Sunlight" dish soap as a cleaning agent. As one who has tried all of the DIY solutions that I could find, including that used by the LOC, I can say that Duane's company (The Disc Doctor) makes the best I've used to date.

Corey,
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net