Back to recommendations for John Schroth, I remember hearing some of these original LPs and liking
them:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Organ-Works-Karl-Richter/dp/B000VH1A6U/

I think Richter played organs smaller and older than some of the "MONSTER PIPES" show-off recordings
that have been popular over the years. He played in a style that he said was more authentic to the
period of Bach than other interpreters of his time. The main thing I liked was that the organs were
in small enough buildings that you could hear each note sound and understand its place in the piece
without it being vacuumed into a mosh pit of reverberation.

Interestingly, I like Richter's version of Bach as much as I like Virgil Fox's version of Bach, and
I think the men had very different ideas.

Speaking of Fox, if you want something totally different, find used copies of the old MCA Classics
reissues of the two Heavy Organ albums. In the early 70s, Fox got behind the keyboard of a Rodgers
Touring Organ, an electronic monster with more than 100 amplified speakers. The concerts included a
psychodellic light show. Decca Records USA recorded performances at the Fillmore East and the
Wintergarden Theater. The recordings include Fox's ruminations on Bach and Bach's music's place in
the youth culture of that time.

Another something different is the new generation of digital organs:
http://www.marshallandogletree.com/inst/
this company made the new organs in the Trinity Wall Street Church (its Aeolian Skinner organ was
destroyed on 9/11 because the blower was left on when the church was evacuated and the debris cloud
from the building callapse was sucked into the organ) and in Montclair NJ. The videos from Montclair
have the best audio. I'm interested in what organ-music afficianatos think of the sound of these
instruments.

As for theater organs, that seems to be a music genre that was of great interest to a mostly male
niche audience of a certain age, and most of them appear to have passed on. There was a spate of
those records put out in the mid 50's and then again in the early stereo LP era. Only a few of the
theater organs exist anymore, and I haven't heard of any high-profile recordings for decades. I have
a circa 1956 2-track tape of George Wright and find the playing interesting but the musical
selections mostly antiquated and uninteresting.

-- Tom Fine