-------- Original Message --------
 From: Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
 Date: Tue, April 14, 2015 8:33 pm
 To: [log in to unmask]

 Hi Jim:

 Don't bet on 24-bit. Many LPs are mastered from the CD or CD master
file. Only the careful bands and
 labels go with the 24-bit files.

 I can see your point, but I don't totally agree with it. If you like a
modern release, isn't there
 some value in 12x12 graphics, and perhaps (again if the artist and
label are careful and/or care
 anything about sound quality) a less-crunched version of the music?

 To my thinking, unless an LP version of a recent release offers better
dynamic range, wider
 frequency range or some other sonic improvement over the CD release,
the only reason to buy it would
 be for the artifact. Some cover art being produced today is quite
compelling/ For instance Tanya
 Donelly was recently interviewed in TapeOp mag talking about her recent
Swan Song Series of
 digital-only releases:
 http://www.tanyadonelly.com/
 She had artwork done to go with each song, and she commented it would
be neat to see them collected
 on vinyl, with packaging that showed the artwork in greater prominance.

 -- Tom Fine