Well classical isn't my favourite organ era, I've heard some impressive organ transcriptions of Beethoven, nothing really by Schubert or Haydn, but Mozart wrote some interesting Fantasias and Church Sonatas. My favourite 19th century organ music is into the romantic era - Mendelssohn and Brahms. There is an early CD by Peter Hurford on Decca of some of the Mendelssohn organ Sonatas which is very impressive; he also recorded a couple of CDs just called, "Romantic Organ Music", containing such popular works as, (I think), the best recording of the Widor Toccata and the Boellmann "Suite Gothique". The Saint-Saens organ Symphony is a very popular war horse and it was recently recorded by Eishenbach, (sp?), and the Philadelphia Orchestra for Ondine, an SACD. I consider this a four movement work and near the end of the second movement, (the slow movement), in the recap is the first time the 32 foot pedal is used. This is the first recording in my experience that captures the first note, (a low "C")  of the recap. A couple of other very fine organ records Elgar's organ sonata and "Enigma Variations" transcribed for solo organ on Hyperion, played on the Temple Church organ in London. In my estimation, a super work but not the best recording is Guilmant's organ symphony no. 1 on Chandos - great pedal recording but miked from such a distance that the orchestral sound is sonic porridge; but I still love this CD.  Another Hyperion CD, also from Temple Church is one called, "Organ Dreams, vol. 1", (I've never seen a volume 2). This one is played by Christopher Herrick, but what both this CD and the Elgar have in common is the superb talents of Simon Eadon. Hyperion organ CDs made a complete U-turn in quality when they hired recording engineer Simon Eadon, along with every other genre of music he works on. This man is a genius and I would love to watch over his shoulder while he's doing a recording.

I'll probably think if some more but this is already too long.

db

Sent from my iPhone