...or Mark Donahue...

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Donahue
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2015 6:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] SACD "surprise"

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I can't recall if it was Yamaha or Studer digital consoles, but I
> think you are correct in your descriptions of "4D". being a true DDD
> system in that the last time anything was analog was when the mic
> plugged into the console and the mic preamp went to a ADC.

Tom,
The DG 4D system was comprised of a stagebox containing custom remote mic preamps and Yamaha converters that connected digitally at 24 bits/44.1/48k to an RTW bit splitter that allowed them to record 24 bit 16 track on a Sony3324. The signal was also distributed to the input of a pair of Yamaha
DMC-1000 digital consoles.  The normal orchestral kit that I would see here in the states was a pair or three stage boxes with a pair of machines for
32 track recording. It was basically modular and could be scaled for the job.
All the best,
-mark