This month we're featuring two Billie Holiday tribute albums celebrating the 100th anniversary of her birth on April 7, 1915: José James' Yesterday I Had the Blues: Music of Billie Holiday and Cassandra Wilson's Coming Forth By Day. Other new releases include the AJ Ghent Band Live at Terminal West; Jukestone Paradise by Brooklyn's Pimps of Joytime, Consultation with Tubby by the Jefferson Street Parade Band, and Last Man Standing by Delta blues veteran CeDell Davis.

New gospel music releases include Erica Campbell's Help 2.0, Robert E. Person's Love Devine, and Any Given Sunday by Pastor Charles Jenkins & Fellowship Chicago. New hip hop releases include Earthee from THEESatisfaction and Never Left from Sadat X. World music releases include the self-titled debut album from South Africa's Bala Brothers,  Eternamente Manzanero by Arturo Sandoval & Jorge Calandrelli and Sagüita Al Bate by Leticia Rodriguez Garza.

Reissue compilations covered this month include two releases from Chicago's Numero Group: Ultra High Frequencies: The Chicago Party and Universal Togetherness Band; the new "official" Experience Hendrix release of Curtis Knight & The Squires' You Can't Use My Name; Chuck Berry's Complete Chess Singles, 1955-61 from Acrobat; Lightnin' Slim's I'm a Rolling Stone: Singles 1954-1962 from Jasmine; and Johnny Mathis' Life Is a Song Worth Singing: The Complete Thom Bell Sessions from Real Gone Music.

Wrapping up this issue is our list of March 2015 black music releases of note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org