On Apr 10, 2015 10:33 AM, "LeVan,Ralph" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Millions of triples?  Puhleeze.
>
> At OCLC we've got >300M bib records, around a billion article records and
billions of holdings records.  That's going to be a *lot* of triples.

You forgot to mention member organizations and ILLiad.

It is hard to guesstimate the triple count for oclc bib records, as there
are a large number of records that are broken enough to break
deduplication, but which can be grouped into the same workset. This makes
property inheritance with overriding especially effective. (A project for
when the Ed O'Neill emulator becomes self-aware? :).

It is possible to scale triple stores to this size, but most of the
entities are better off stored using other approaches, with triples being
generated from this other store as required.  Most commercial triple stores
also provide row and/or column organized tables.

I have sometimes speculated on how well IDMS might work for this kind of
data. I have decided I would rather not know :)

Some kinds of ODBMS might also work rather well.

Simon