I was glad to see Joe Kiegel initiate this discussion and am responding now
not so much to put a point of view as to give the thread a bump. The
existence of the RDA vocabularies has been the elephant in the room in
discussions about BIBFRAME and this attempt to compare their
characteristics is very welcome.

However, I'm not sure it's clear yet how we need to frame that comparison.
Joe points out, for instance, that BIBFRAME provides for administrative
metadata while RDA does not; but the current BIBFRAME provisions come
directly from MARC and are arguably not going to be well suited to RDF
data.

The most obvious contrast between BIBFRAME and RDA/RDF is that the latter
is a dedicated vehicle for a content standard. Given the difficulties
we've already experienced trying to shoehorn RDA into MARC, that would
appear to be a difference worth heeding. But we're also told that
vocabularies should be designed for easy reuse by other communities, and
I've heard that advanced as an argument for adopting a simpler core
vocabulary. (As I understand it, RDA/RDF's "unconstrained" properties were
introduced partly in response to that same demand.)

I suspect a lot of people, if they're like me, are going to want help
knowing how to think through questions such as these. Karen's remark about
needing to "re-iterate back from our attempts to create a viable RDF
version of library data to the cataloging rules, and create at least a
subset of the rules that can support a viable data format" strikes me as a
useful starting point for discussing the relationship of cataloguing rules
to the vocabularies they're to be expressed in, and not only in connection
with identifiers but also generally.

Naun.

--

Chew Chiat Naun