On 4/17/15 1:16 PM, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:17 PM, J. McRee Elrod <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Mark said:
>>

>>> pybibframe uses 245$a as our base Work title in BF Lite
>> Even is there is a 130 or 240?
>>
>> Is this because Bibframe considered different expressions to be different
>> works?
> I can't speak to the reasoning (ask Eric :), but FWIW, we've seen
> almost no 130s while working on Libhub so far.
>
> 240 serves as the source of the title of a Collection which contains
> the Work, as you might be able to discern here;
>
> https://github.com/zepheira/pybibframe/blob/master/lib/reader/marcpatterns.py#L245

Sometimes the 240 is the title of a collection ("Collection works"
"Selections") but more often it's a chosen title for a work whose title
varies. In a large number of cases this links the title of a translation
to an original title. I'm not nearly as good at finding examples as
those who catalog will be, but here are a few examples, included the 245
so it makes more sense:

240    10     |a Zauberberg.  |l English
245    14     |a The magic mountain :  |b a novel /  |c Thomas Mann ;
translated from the German by John E. Woods.

240    10     |a Hamlet.  |l Italian
245    10     |a Amleto,  |c principe di Danimarca.

240    10     |a Hamlet
245    14     |a The tragedie of Hamlet, Prince of Denmarke :  |b folio
rawshakespeare edition /  |c William Shakespeare ... [et al.].

240    10     |a Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone
245    10     |a Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone /  |c by J.K.
Rowling ; illustrations by Mary GrandPré.

It's hard to read code because each line of code is just ... a line of
code, and you don't know from that line of code what the intention of
the entire program is. Perhaps something else is done with the 240 in
some other lines of code, in some other module. In any case, if the 240
is being called a collection, that's kinda weird, unless collection =
work in some way.

Also note that the 240 $l contains information that would be in a FRBR
expression, but these are both in bf:work so that wouldn't matter.
However, a FRBR work title would not contain the language of expression,
AFAIK.

kc

--
Karen Coyle