Adam, I think what you have demonstrated here is the difference between
the act of cataloging and the resulting catalog data. The catalog data
encodes the selected main creator and any secondary creators or
contributors, but there is nothing in that data to provide evidence as
to why the decision was made - e.g. if it was the order of the authors
or the prominence of one author's name on the title page. If I show you
a catalog record for a book you have never seen, you probably could not
tell me what cataloging rule was used or what decision was made. Which
is fine unless that information is essential for understanding the
resulting catalog record.

Any information that is essential for the functionality of the catalog
must be made explicit in the coding of the data. Any information that is
not coded is not available to the developers of systems nor to the user
of the catalog. In that sense, for the current discussion, the
cataloging rules are only relevant to the extent that they can be
understood from the resulting record. I am NOT saying that the decisions
made by catalogers are not important -- what you describe below is
essential for the consistency of data across libraries -- but no actions
can be taken on machine-readable data except where the information is
explicitly coded in the record itself.

So the question then becomes, of the information you give below, what is
essential for the functionality of the catalog data once it is created?
Or, to put it more bluntly, what do you want systems to do with the
information you have given here? Then, once that has been clarified, the
next question is: how can it be coded in the machine-readable data so
that its meaning is clear?

kc

Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net