I can report that, when we encounter $0 with identifiers, we leave them in (but don’t go on to add them or asked that they be added; this is being discussed due to issue mentioned below).

Our new ILS includes some out-of-the-box authority jobs that review records each night and links certain (1XX, 6XX, 7XX) headings in new records to appropriate authority records from LCNAF or LCSH, as well as update the headings as the authority headings change. These jobs in our ILS continue to wrongly link FAST headings, with $2 fast and $0 [fast identifier], to LCSH headings. I’ve yet to see that if once wrongly linked, and the LCSH heading changes, then the system will change the FAST heading that it is believe to be LCSH, but in theory this will happen.

I’ve reported the issue to the vendor but have yet to hear back, and these are jobs that we cannot edit - you either turn them on or off, there is no in between. I bring this up as an example of where I hope the vendors are also working on how to best handle identifiers (for these jobs seems to be just checking the text strings without regard to other present information in the field, like identifiers or vocabulary source), while catalogers continue to develop their own workflows and decisions on them. I’d love to start pulling in identifiers for all such headings (as I do in my non-MARC work), but the current system doesn’t seem ready for this, especially if we’d have to repair the authority corrections each day. If I have any developments on this, I’ll be happy to share to the group.

Thanks,
Christina

Christina Harlow
Cataloging & Metadata Librarian