http://www.geonames.org/ontology/documentation.html

-Bruce

Bruce J. Gordon
Audio Engineer
Audio Preservation Services - a shared service of the Harvard Library
Harvard University
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
U.S.A
tel. +1(617) 495-1241
fax +1(617) 496-4636

On Apr 23, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Trail, Nate <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Tim, good question. I think it’s a question  of re-use or use-cases. For example, what’s the utility of a re-usable Provider node like  “Naperville, Ill. : Sourcebooks, c2008.” How many times would that  publication event ever be re-used? We should make efforts to turn Naperville, Ill,  into a uri pointing to the Place,yes. It would also be nice if there were a uri out there for all imprints/publishers/distributors, so we could point to “example.org/Sourcebooks” or whatever, but there isn’t , yet, and the data isn’t clean enough to actually know what to do with it. So for now we’ve just been keeping the data in a node by itself, and trying to wrap multiple places, pubs,distributors in separate blocks to facilitate downstream cleanup.

Identifiers would be great to have as uris, but there just aren’t rdf resources that resolve them, unless/until we put them  up ourselves. (We do have plans to add more of this sort of stuff at id, but we shouldn’t be in the business of adding issn resolvers, for example; those are not our numbers.)

Bf:Title being flattened out may be a mistake; I think it should really just a blank node, too.  I don’t much like blank nodes, but we need to group together the title properties.  Is there a use-case for  having all the bf:Works with the title “[Untitled] Photograph 1991.” point to a single resource someplace that returns you that string when you(r system) reference it?

Nate

Nate Trail
Network Development & MARC Standards Office
LS/ABA/NDMSO
LA308, Mail Stop 4402
Library of Congress
Washington DC 20540