Usage patterns do matter, I agree. But if we're only talking about an
order of millions of triples, there is no reason to believe that a
triplestore could not perform adequately in real-world usage
scenarios. This has been done already many times.

To my knowledge, BIBFRAME was designed as an RDF vocabulary and
intended for Linked Data use. So it's not me prescribing RDF. RDF is
the natural data model of choice here, while RDBMS a source of data
from legacy systems. Putting RDF data into an RDBMS makes no sense.