I've been following the interesting discussion on this list, and I'd like to share a thought I had about this topic, that I hope will be productive to the conversation.

We all heard the rallying cry of "MARC must die" and now we hear "BIBFRAME, is the new MARC (but now it is not just for libraries)".  I support the overall "linked data movement" but I'm just not really into the all this RDF and SPARQL stuff -- but I do think the data modeling going on here is going to pay off by enabling better interoperability and data sharing  --  I just don't see anything fundamentally different than other data model systems or query technologies.  And I just can't hold a triple graph in my head, all the arrows, and then httprange-14 blows out my suspension of disbelief.  I don't know if it is like one of those pictures if you cross your eyes or whatever and you see it in 3d?  I can't see those 3d pictures, and I can't old a graph of triples in my head.

I'm not saying there is not a time and a place to store stuff in a triple store with a SPARQL endpoint (or use a Linked Data Platform), I just don't see why it needs to be the one true way™.

Some people like beer, some people like wine.  Some people like RDF, some people like RDBMS.  Just because we don't have the same tastes does not mean we can't have a data party together.  Let's embrace technodiversity.

I do really like JSON-LD.  http://json-ld.org
I can understand that.  It can package a graph of triples for me into something that looks like a record.  It supports CURIEs/xmlns in a way that does not have so much of a smell to me.

JSON is nice for programmers, at least web hacks like me, but it is not necessarily the best format for human editing.  For example, no comments allowed.
http://json.org

YAML is a superset of JSON with "human readability" as a design goal
http://yaml.org
http://www.yaml.org/spec/1.2/spec.html#id2759572

Well, you can do YAML that will convert / is compatible with JSON-LD "@context" and "@id"
http://wiki.cfcl.com/Projects/Arborescence/YAML-LD

So, the thought I had was what if you had a LD aware YAML editor / Cataloging IDE -- maybe implemented with a web based IDE framework or an eclipse or emacs plugin -- that would parse your YAML-LD "@context" and automatically hook up autocomplete drop downs against the vocabularies/ontologies/whatever they are.  CURIEs will be filled in according to how you had your @context set up.  Domains would be used to limit your autocomplete to appropriate values.  Cataloging rules could be displayed in the IDE.  The editor would check validity and have syntax highlighting.

YAML also supports multiple records per file, so for batch processing use cases, it might be sort of similar to MARC, where I will often get single files with thousands of records.  If you want to put the batch of records in a triple store or a solr index -- data party people don't care.

Anyway, that was my thought -- consider storing it as YAML records that follow JSON-LD rules.

Have a nice day and link away.

-- Brian